PTSD or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder is a serious and potentially debilitating condition that can occur in people who have experienced or witnessed a natural disaster, serious accident, sudden death of a loved one, war, violent personal assault such as rape, or other life-threatening traumatic events. Counseling is advised for individuals experiencing the following PTSD symptoms:
- Agitation, irritability, hostility, hypervigilance, or self-destructive behavior
- Inability to feel pleasure, guilt, or loneliness and social isolation
- Flashbacks, fear, severe anxiety, or mistrust
- Sleep problems such as insomnia or nightmares
- Emotional detachment and unwanted thoughts
When you have PTSD, dealing with the past can be hard. Instead of telling others how you feel, you may keep your feelings bottled up. But talking with one of our counselors can help you get better and start living a life of purpose again.